Wednesday, August 30, 2017


JAMILLA JO
(TITLE TRACK)

CONTENT
Jamilla Jo is a person I just made up in my head.
I based her on many of my strong and beautiful black women friends that I have met over the years and morphed that into a street wise but elegant woman who wants world peace but won't put up with peoples bullshit.
It's kind of a weird song - all over the place - but a good start to this album

MUSIC
Musically, I wanted something hip hoppy and R&B-y with some African style drums and a slight hint of 1970s



REGINA DAVIS

CONTENT
Loosely based on this fabulous girl I worked with when I was in my 20s named Regina Davis... I morphed her into this dance diva from the 1970s disco era and tied that into the Donna Summer song MacArthur Park (cake out in the rain).
A massive nod to the 70s, which is the main theme of my record.

MUSIC
This is the first real 1970s-esque style track. Basic disco beat turns into a more modern club beat.



FUN

CONTENT
Also a 1970s disco themed song... Fun is a pretty basic club song but ties in the unrest from the 70s with the unrest of current times and then hints at the world isn't going to change so we might as well have some fun.
I used a loop from another album that I had used before too and there is also a reference to that.

MUSIC
Musically, this track is similar to Regina Davis but has more of an intense club beat.



HOODRAT

CONTENT
This song deals with my increasing intolerance for people who are drug induced dangerous criminals and their terrorist like tactics that they use daily in my neighborhood.

MUSIC
More modern hip hop / R&B sound



WHEN DID I GET OLD

CONTENT
This song is about the affects of getting older and getting older in a world that is now so ridiculous and scary. Also, a nod to one of my favorite Joni Mitchell songs. During the choruses, I am playing that guitar riff. The rest are loops.

MUSIC
Aside from the Joni Mitchell style guitar riffs I mentioned above, the rest of the music is a blue-sy style background and pretty simple.



LEOPARD PRINT

CONTENT
This track is about my extreme affection for anything leopard print. And maybe a few tongue in cheek sexual references.
Every Jonsona album has to have one or two! ;)

MUSIC
Raw and rough bass line with some techno-y back drops and a simple guitar loop



FREON

CONTENT
A lil' ditty about yet another ridiculous experience with homosexual men that are crazy and trying to find love in a severely fucked up culture, especially in a dirty little midwestern town.

MUSIC
More rough bass to represent frustration and some added orchestral undertones to add drama and some mystic sounding choir loops, that I often use in my albums.





ADDICT

CONTENT
Addict is about well, drug addicts and my frustration with the problem of that, especially these days, but my understanding and deep down compassion for those who suffer from it, as well.

MUSIC
Straight up rave like music. Very fast paced to represent the effects of hard stimulant drugs and the anxiety of that life and getting caught. (That's the one thing I never got to in to (heavy drugs) and I'm so glad I didn't)





THE END

CONTENT
This will probably be my last full studio album for a long time - maybe the last one ever - so this is kind of about that, and about the melancholy that I feel more and more, the older I get and the more fucked up the world gets. So, this song and this record may be... The End

MUSIC
Starts off with a 2000ndy kind of loop... then comes the last 1970s feel with some disco style loops then the heavier bass comes and some guitar towards the end




No comments:

Post a Comment